Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Clean Eating: Where to start?

I am still learning about clean eating but what I have learned is it means something different for everyone.  If when you look at the ingredients list on the package and you can't pronounce them and have no idea what they are you can't have it.  If it doesn't have a mother or come from the ground you don't want it. Less CRAP, More FOOD.

 
Where does cheese come in to play? I found an article on The Gracious Pantry that explains it pretty well.  Basically cheese isn't clean unless your buying it raw from the Amish which is illegal. I think if I was at the phase of just needing to drop a couple pounds I would try a non-dairy alternative but for now I am just going to stick with what we have been doing, and that's drinking skim milk.
 
If you have been interested enough in clean eating to hit up the healthy food aisle at the grocery store it was probably a whole lot of mumbo jumbo you didn't understand.  My first clean recipe had non GMO frozen corn in it... what the heck is that and where do I even buy it!? Here is what I've learned so far about the health food lingo.
 
Non-GMO: Genetically Modified Organisms, basically plants and animals created by a scientist. Check out the Non-GMO project if you want to learn more.
 
Organic: Most people have heard of this its ingredients grown without the use of fertilizer/pesticides/etc.
 
Natural: Food can only be labeled clean if it contains no artificial ingredients or added colors and is minimally processes.  This does NOT mean clean! Read your ingredients!
 
Gluten Free: means not derived from wheat, rye or barley.
 
That's all for today, if you want to learn more about food lingo check out this post I came across.  
 
I am also interested in buying produce in bulk if anyone knows how and where I can do that and is interested in starting a co-op with me let me know! I looked into it a little bit today and I know that Richardson's in White Marsh sells wholesale to the public in "everything" apparently. Just need to know if anyone is interested in splitting the produce with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment